Search found 3171 matches

Return to advanced search

Re: Kids & Sports

The only possibly helpful thoughts that I have are 1) if your son doesn't like practicing soccer, he probably doesn't like soccer and 2) maybe he's not into the aggression. If the therapists recommend continued physical activities, I'd work on finding some that he enjoys. Maybe golf, fencing, baseba...
by bottlecap
Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:06 am
 
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Kids & Sports
Replies: 26
Views: 2175

Re: What is the best way to sell guns and get the best price

I'd look into gunbroker.com. A lot of gunshops will also sell on consignment.

JT
by bottlecap
Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:00 pm
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: What is the best way to sell guns and get the best price?
Replies: 20
Views: 1075

Re: Why do people use age instead of life expectancy?

Your asset allocation really really should be based on time to retirement, which is what the age in bonds rule of thumb tries to approximate. Life expectancy has nothing to do with this, but employment expectancy is relevant. At retirement, the question become more about how much you need to withdra...
by bottlecap
Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:50 am
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Why do people use age instead of life expectancy?
Replies: 43
Views: 2900

Re: Gifting from g-parents to minors

She could also start another 529 for each child and contribute to it, with herself being the owner/controller of the account. This is the way to go. As I understand it, if it is in the grandparent's name, it will not adversely affect applications for aid, that is, until the money is withdrawn and u...
by bottlecap
Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:55 pm
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Gifting from g-parents to minors
Replies: 6
Views: 899

Re: Is the backdoor Roth IRA legal?

It is permitted by law. Ergo, it is legal.

JT
by bottlecap
Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:51 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Is the backdoor Roth IRA legal?
Replies: 13
Views: 1721

Re: Why do people use age instead of life expectancy?

Using life expectancy gives a false precision, too. Life expectancies are averages. The individual wouldn't be very good at determining them aside from using the average. I doubt the average investor would ever come up with an AA if the instructions started out with "First, determine you're lif...
by bottlecap
Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:36 am
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Why do people use age instead of life expectancy?
Replies: 43
Views: 2900

Re: Buy a new car, or fix the old one?

Stability control is most of the game these days when it comes to safety. You have it, but more than half the 10 year old cars don't have it. These days, lots of parents hand their new driver child their oldest car which has a 50% higher fatality rate than the other cars the parents own. If one nee...
by bottlecap
Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:52 am
 
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Buy a new car, or fix the old one?
Replies: 55
Views: 2930

Re: Why are 401k plans expensive?

jf89 wrote:This has bothered me ever since I started here, but could somebody please explain to me what it is about a 401k that makes it so much more expensive than an IRA?


Competition.
by bottlecap
Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:20 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Why are 401k plans expensive?
Replies: 39
Views: 2981

Re: Teaching A Class, What Investment Advice Do I Give?

Since it's a Dave Ramsey course and its bible-based finance, I assume that this might be the answer to all your questions: Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." If you ...
by bottlecap
Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:17 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Teaching A Class, What Investment Advice Do I Give?
Replies: 19
Views: 1570

Re: Index usage error in Mortgage Document.

bberris wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
LongerPrimer wrote:This carp needs to end.

Yes. There's definitely something fishy going on here.

Good catch!


At first, I wasn't sure about this thread. But now, I'm hooked.

JT
by bottlecap
Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:02 pm
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Index usage error in Mortgage Document.
Replies: 13
Views: 731

Re: Dry Powder

I'd stick with bonds. It's not like anyone doesn't know that the market will flicuate, so I can't imagine that answers have changed. Heck, gold's better than cash - at least it has speculative value.

JT
by bottlecap
Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:57 am
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Dry Powder
Replies: 49
Views: 3502

Re: Wine - how to keep it from not spoiling?

Unfortunately, there is no cheap way to keep wine from "going bad.". It will last about a day before the taste significantly deteriorates. You can still drink it - its not "bad" mind you, but on the third day I usually just end up opening a new bottle for taste reasons. I used to...
by bottlecap
Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:05 pm
 
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Wine - how to keep it from not spoiling?
Replies: 57
Views: 2816

Re: Which home inspectors/trademen did you use?

Try to find someone who has built a house before. Along the lines of a carpenter, but who is also familiar with electrical codes. It may be hard to find someone, but inspectors who have only been inspectors aren't much good.

JT
by bottlecap
Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:38 am
 
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Which home inspectors/trademen did you use?
Replies: 5
Views: 542

Re: Possible Uninsured Motorist accident

Sorry, Dad, but if this person doesn't had insurance, they probably don't have assets. A judgment against them will mean nothing. Even if they had some assets, you will have to spend a lot of money and time trying to enforce the judgment, with little chance of real success. Judgments only weigh on p...
by bottlecap
Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:02 am
 
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Possible Uninsured Motorist accident - UPDATE
Replies: 47
Views: 3358

Re: In theory, market timing = index investing

So market timing equals EV? That's a strange and undefendable conclusion. But to some extent, indexing is a way to reduce variance through diversification. Even if your EV is the same, variance is not. Even if it were right, ignoring the benefits of diversification, taking out the mistakes that huma...
by bottlecap
Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:05 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: In theory, market timing = index investing
Replies: 10
Views: 674

Re: How Long Should I Keep My Car?

I'd say 10 years or 120,000 miles is a good benchmark to reassess on average. Obviously earlier if you have major problems earlier. Earlier if you have more than a normal fear of breaking down. Earlier if you know absolutely nothing about cars and don't care to know. Earlier if you don't maintain yo...
by bottlecap
Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:37 am
 
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: How Long Should I Keep My Car?
Replies: 50
Views: 4086

Re: Lawyer fee question?

epitomist wrote:
kenner wrote:So, with your vast knowledge of how all defense lawyers operate in an unethical manner with regard to billing, you must be a defense lawyer - or you just get sued A LOT.

Just once. That's enough for a lifetime.


With a sample size of one, I'm going with "user error".

JT
by bottlecap
Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:13 am
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Lawyer fee question?
Replies: 32
Views: 2176

Re: Buy Local

Who was paying the lamp guy for the 25 years you spent not needing him? :wink: Small and less efficent businesses certainly generate a certain amount of nostalgia, but the bottom line anymore is that 95% of the time nowadays, consumers don't need the special assistance and folks need to be paid duri...
by bottlecap
Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:10 am
 
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Buy Local
Replies: 29
Views: 2380

Re: Lawyer fee question?

I am not one to "stiff" another professional and if I had a fee arrangement contract that addressed this I would not be asking on here. :D I just wanted to know if it is normal practice to be billing for doing a preliminary injunction same time as handling the settlement after the date I ...
by bottlecap
Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:34 am
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Lawyer fee question?
Replies: 32
Views: 2176

Re: Lawyer fee question?

Just talk to the lawyer. If you instructed him not to prepare anything during settlement talks and he agreed, then he should possibly write down the bill. If that was not your instruction, then a small amount of time after that probably isn't much concern. A large amount of time would certainly be s...
by bottlecap
Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:52 pm
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Lawyer fee question?
Replies: 32
Views: 2176

Re: Lawyer fee question?

Hard to tell from your post, which is a little confusing. If you had a signed settlement on date x and your lawyer worked on responses after date x, i would ask the lawyer about it. You are perfectly within your rights to question the bill. The lawyer should, and probably will, provide a reasonable ...
by bottlecap
Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:00 pm
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Lawyer fee question?
Replies: 32
Views: 2176

Re: How Long Should I Keep My Car?

Maintain your car and it's age won't be much of a problem. It is extremely rare for a car of any sort to simply break down and leave you stranded. It has only happened to me once and I got a good bit of warning, but couldn't do much because I was on the last leg of a long trip. I've never broken dow...
by bottlecap
Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:54 pm
 
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: How Long Should I Keep My Car?
Replies: 50
Views: 4086

Re: Could one theoretically be 100% stocks your whole life?

No, one could not theoretically be in 100% stocks their entire life. They could do this actually, but not theoretically.

JT
by bottlecap
Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:31 am
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Could one theoretically be 100% stocks your whole life?
Replies: 43
Views: 2794

Re: how to prevent medical expense catastrophe?

BUT if we are going to talk about outrageous fees, we need to include everyone. If this surgery went bad, the attorney would have been paid $117,000 and nobody would blink at it. Thankfully, in most states, you can represent yourself if you want to quit your job and spend five years handling the ca...
by bottlecap
Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:54 pm
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: how to prevent medical expense catastrophe?
Replies: 174
Views: 7845

Re: Term Care 80 Northwestern Mutual - What to do for Life I

Hi JT, Do you know about how artificially low the rates the term4sale? It's not much. I found that when you called the agents, most did not actually sell the top two or three best priced policies, despite the fact the site said they did. The agents seemed not to want to deal with those companies, p...
by bottlecap
Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:22 pm
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Term Care 80 Northwestern Mutual - What to do for Life Ins.
Replies: 15
Views: 986

Re: When to throw out childhood toys? Encourage me please.

Donate it. My wife's Mom never threw anything out and our 3 year old has a ball every time she stays with grandma and the Eighties toys come out.

JT
by bottlecap
Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:13 pm
 
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: When to throw out childhood toys? Encourage me please.
Replies: 34
Views: 2432

Re: What evidence would prove the Boglehead mentality wrong?

A straw-man argument is where you misstate the opposite viewpoint in order to make it easier to refute. Well, that's just what you've done, even if you don't realize it. You not only have the Boglehead point of view incorrect, but you have boiled it down to one point of view that is rarely so unequ...
by bottlecap
Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:17 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: What evidence would prove the Boglehead mentality wrong?
Replies: 212
Views: 15293

Re: Term Care 80 Northwestern Mutual - What to do for Life I

I agree the NML policy appears expensive, but do realize that the term4life website gives you some artifically low rates as well. You likely won't get the best rates shown - some of the agents won't even try for them.

JT
by bottlecap
Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:19 pm
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Term Care 80 Northwestern Mutual - What to do for Life Ins.
Replies: 15
Views: 986

Re: What evidence would prove the Boglehead mentality wrong?

I would suggest to those of you who hold to an unfalsifiable theory that you at least understand that yours is a faith commitment, not a scientifically valid one. You've set up quite the strawman in the attempt to appear correct. The problem is that even if you are right, it is meaningless. You hav...
by bottlecap
Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:11 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: What evidence would prove the Boglehead mentality wrong?
Replies: 212
Views: 15293

Re: What evidence would prove the Boglehead mentality wrong?

The signal you wait for is when investing becomes easy and lucrative, but no one else knows the secret so only you can exploit it. Then be assured you should jump ship.

Until this happens, seeking alpha will be difficult, costly and fleeting.

JT
by bottlecap
Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:04 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: What evidence would prove the Boglehead mentality wrong?
Replies: 212
Views: 15293

Re: Should you care about risk-adjusted returns?

I guess the moral of the story (or as much of a story as you can have over one time period) is that if you can afford to, or must, take more risk, choose to take more risk in the hopes of a higher return. Who'da thunk? To me, the importance of risk adjusted returns is to compare the performance of t...
by bottlecap
Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:10 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Should you care about risk-adjusted returns?
Replies: 13
Views: 815

Re: Anyone use Legal Zoom for LivingTrust?

hoops777 wrote:Ok...on to Legal Zoom....Anyone have any thoughts for a pretty simple living trust?One house,basic investment accounts and everything going to 2 kids,50/50.


You'll never know for sure. When it matters, you'll be dead.

JT
by bottlecap
Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:42 pm
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Anyone use Legal Zoom for LivingTrust?
Replies: 75
Views: 5093

Re: Probability question

"Odds" are expressed as a ratio. The odds in this case are 11 to 1 against each year - so I guess 143 to 1 against for two years?

JT
by bottlecap
Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:22 am
 
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Probability question
Replies: 14
Views: 1178

Re: Debating whether to keep current vehicle or purchase ano

If you want a new car, then go ahead. If you want to wait, it sounds like this car will run a while. Just keep it maintained.

Good luck,

JT
by bottlecap
Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:48 am
 
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Debating whether to keep current vehicle or purchase another
Replies: 44
Views: 2443

Re: Gas station etiquette

I think Driver A sounds like a jerk. If he gave me a hard time, I would have asked him if he could navigate his car around mine and out to the exit. If he said, "Yes," then the nicest possible thing I could have managed to him would be, "Well, why don't you do just that." If the ...
by bottlecap
Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:29 pm
 
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Gas station etiquette
Replies: 46
Views: 3054

Re: My husband's " WILL", $ left for me to live on....

I would see a lawyer immediately. If this fella wants you to live at the poverty level after he's gone, you should make him "gone" a little sooner by divorcing him. Talk to the lawyer about your rights of inheritance and the validity of the prenup. Get this squared away now, otherwise your...
by bottlecap
Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:37 pm
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: My husband's " WILL", $ left for me to live on....
Replies: 258
Views: 17856

Re: Should I fix a "totaled" car

This is a question only you and your mechanic can answer. I would be concerned about frame damage, but not having seen it first hand, it's hard for me to opine. I bought my vehicle back from the insurance company and fixed it after speaking with the guy who inspected it for the insurance company, th...
by bottlecap
Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:06 pm
 
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Should I fix a "totaled" car
Replies: 38
Views: 2905

Re: What 5 stocks can I own forever?

You should learn how to invest. This is a great place to learn.

Good luck,

JT
by bottlecap
Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:11 am
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: What 5 stocks can I own forever?
Replies: 58
Views: 4698

Re: What to consider while purchasing an existing business?

The fact that this woman is crazy and wants you to trust her is another reason to have a lawyer. The lawyer will do the negotiation and won't be susceptible to emotional ploys like that. You basically can't trust an addict anyway.

JT
by bottlecap
Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:50 am
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: What to consider while purchasing an existing business?
Replies: 50
Views: 4106

Re: Kitces - Think Twice about those Conversions

As always, diversify your investments to account for future uncertainty. However, at a time when states are lessening the tax burden on senoirs, even in poor fiscal times, I doubt that politicians on the federal level will go up against the AARP and the one group of Americans most likely to vote. Co...
by bottlecap
Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:45 am
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Kitces - Think Twice about those Conversions
Replies: 15
Views: 3041

Re: Sport of Fencing question

Try the coach or visit some local clubs. Try http://www.usfencing.org for more information, if you haven't already. The answer to your question largely depends on where you live. Although fencing has become much more competitive in the U.S. over the last 15 to 20 years, there are likely still some l...
by bottlecap
Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:04 pm
 
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Sport of Fencing question
Replies: 5
Views: 538

Re: [live off dividends?] How the rich stay/get richer??

Huh, in real life, my observation has been that the harder the job, the less well compensated it is. I now make ten times what I made working in a factory when I was in college, for sitting on my ass all day reading environmental engineering reports. It is *not* harder work, it's easier. I grew up ...
by bottlecap
Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:44 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: [live off dividends?] How the rich stay/get richer??
Replies: 62
Views: 5062

Re: [live off dividends?] How the rich stay/get richer??

The rich are not rich because of dividends. It's because they work harder and are willing to take more risks than others. Perhaps a little luck helps, but it would be an anomaly for someone to make $2 million dollars one year and then drop everything to sit back and collect dividends. JT Having the...
by bottlecap
Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:19 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: [live off dividends?] How the rich stay/get richer??
Replies: 62
Views: 5062

Re: [live off dividends?] How the rich stay/get richer??

The rich are not rich because of dividends. It's because they work harder and are willing to take more risks than others. Perhaps a little luck helps, but it would be an anomaly for someone to make $2 million dollars one year and then drop everything to sit back and collect dividends.

JT
by bottlecap
Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:39 am
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: [live off dividends?] How the rich stay/get richer??
Replies: 62
Views: 5062

Re: Bad(?) advice given about Target Date Retirement funds

I think the problem is that it's not a big deal. Pick a TD fund. Three years from now, reassess, and pick another. What's the problem? If they are the type of investor that won't reassess, then the TD's glidepath is going to be far better than anything they will do on their own.

JT
by bottlecap
Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:23 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Bad(?) advice given about Target Date Retirement funds
Replies: 103
Views: 6613

Re: Market Timing?

Market timing is used or overused as a naughty word. You could say that staying the course is market timing because you are predicting that the market will recover or progress based on past performance. That is silly. How is assuming the market will rise over time "market timing?" We all ...
by bottlecap
Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:09 am
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Market Timing?
Replies: 20
Views: 1300

Re: Market Timing?

Neither Templeton or Buffett are saying to stay in the market when sentiment is high or low. They're saying to actually BUY or SELL. (Or, in the case of Buffett, he's implying that.) That's market timing in my book. I think you're being far too literal here. How else do you reconcile Buffett's othe...
by bottlecap
Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:08 am
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Market Timing?
Replies: 20
Views: 1300

Re: Teaching teen to drive

I'd have him take the class. He wants to do it, so he might actually get something out of it. Check to see if his taking that class (as opposed to another class) might reduce your insurance rates, as well. I had two drivers ed courses. One was with a thirty-something instructor in a Camaro. I may ha...
by bottlecap
Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:05 pm
 
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Teaching teen to drive
Replies: 31
Views: 1455

Re: Retirement portfolio for a novice

I think you are doing the right thing except I would add 20% bonds. I will say that I didn't have bonds when I was your age, either, but I should have. It adds a level of stability to the portfolio and gives you something to rebalance with. Will it give you a greater return than staying with 100% eq...
by bottlecap
Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:54 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Retirement portfolio for a novice
Replies: 1
Views: 345

Re: Market Timing?

No. I consider those statements that are likely to be true, but only in retrospect do we know times of "maximum pessimism" and "maximum optimism." So acting on your gut feeling that we are in one of those times would be market timing, but those statements themselves are not. Thos...
by bottlecap
Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:27 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Market Timing?
Replies: 20
Views: 1300
Next

Return to advanced search