Search found 10 matches

Return to advanced search

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Thinking about it, we might be able to find a restaurant that has a room you can reserve. As long as we all order dinner there is often no charge. I don't know if they offer those rooms on a Friday or not. Maggiano's has these rooms for sure as I have been to dinners in the Chicago and Naperville i...
by agill99
Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:37 pm
 
Forum: Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community
Topic: Chicago chapter meeting
Replies: 60
Views: 6494

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

I am interested also. The date and tentative place(s) (Chicago or Oak Park) work for me.

Thanks for organizing this!
by agill99
Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:34 pm
 
Forum: Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community
Topic: Chicago chapter meeting
Replies: 60
Views: 6494

For those who hold individual stocks…

How do you “pick” your stocks? I know that a lot of members of the forum have individual stocks in their portfolios and I am wondering how you select these. Is there a philosophy or rationale you use, e.g. high-yield dividend stocks? Just for clarity, I’m not talking about trading stocks but selecti...
by agill99
Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:39 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: For those who hold individual stocks…
Replies: 34
Views: 3648

Re: Help with Illinois 529 and State tax deduction

Duh! :oops: Like I said, it's probably incredibly obvious.

I hope this isn't the dumbest post (but I'm sure it ranks up there).
by agill99
Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:42 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Help with Illinois 529 and State tax deduction
Replies: 3
Views: 430

Re: Fidelity Contrafund vs Vanguard Total Stock Index Fund

Here's my .02. I'm relatively new to the Bogle way, and I have tried to convince my wife that it is better than MY old approach. She has a big holding of Contrafund in her 403(b). I never have a good argument to convince her to switch to an index fund because Contrafund's returns have been better th...
by agill99
Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:22 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Fidelity Contrafund vs Vanguard Total Stock Index Fund
Replies: 18
Views: 3284

Help with Illinois 529 and State tax deduction

I know that there have been some good discussions about the Illinois 529 plan and its state income tax benefits ( http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/search.php?keywords=illinois+529 ), and I agree that the Illinois 529 program has a great selection of Vanguard funds and is a great savings plan. But my ...
by agill99
Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:57 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Help with Illinois 529 and State tax deduction
Replies: 3
Views: 430

Re: Backdoor Roth and converting a roll-over

Looked at your prior posts. You appear to be overweight in Roth already. IL strongly favors TIRA because contributions and withdrawals are both exempt from state tax. Are you sure you're over the direct Roth limit? Here's an illustrative stack of numbers -- plug in your actuals. I'm glad I asked. A...
by agill99
Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:06 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Backdoor Roth and converting a roll-over
Replies: 5
Views: 328

Backdoor Roth and converting a roll-over

Hello all, I have read the Wiki-pages, other questions and I think I know the answer, but I want to confirm my understanding of doing a backdoor Roth because this will be my first time. I understand the mechanics of funding the non-deductible Traditional IRA, converting it to a Roth, and paying taxe...
by agill99
Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:12 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Backdoor Roth and converting a roll-over
Replies: 5
Views: 328

Re: Help with mediocre 401(k) options

Thank you all for your help. While I didn't want to get into a discussion about my total portfolio, I feel like I erred the other way and left out too much information. Currently my 401(k) is about 40% of my total savings/investing assets, with the other 60% in a Roth IRA and taxable account. Howeve...
by agill99
Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:41 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Help with mediocre 401(k) options
Replies: 10
Views: 682

Help with mediocre 401(k) options

Hello all, Although I’ve been lurking for about 6 months, this is my first post, so please be gentle. :D Right now, I’m just looking for advice on selecting the “best” funds offered in my 401(k). To me the options generally look pretty mediocre. Vital Statistics (about me): Emergency funds: Currentl...
by agill99
Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:35 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Help with mediocre 401(k) options
Replies: 10
Views: 682

Return to advanced search