Search found 635 matches

Return to advanced search

Re: Safe Withdrawl Rate

BigJohn Thanks for your reply. You make a good point. My budget does include a fair amount of discretionary spending that could be eliminated (i.e. private country club membership and $20,000 plus per year for travel). What would your suggestions be to make certain we don't deplete our principal? N...
by Sbashore
Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:56 pm
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Safe Withdrawl Rate
Replies: 19
Views: 1424

Re: What evidence would prove the Boglehead mentality wrong?

Passive investing would be suboptimal if you could demonstrate an implementable alternate strategy that provides superior returns after all costs (including trading, taxes, market impact, and any management fees). You will also need to show that the strategy could not be be implemented inside a pas...
by Sbashore
Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:36 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: What evidence would prove the Boglehead mentality wrong?
Replies: 53
Views: 2673

Re: How often do YOU rebalance and when?

I rebalance when I am outside my tolerance bands and limit any given rebalance action to once a year.
by Sbashore
Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:00 am
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: How often do YOU rebalance and when?
Replies: 16
Views: 595

Re: Need advice on which tablet to buy

I have a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 " Display. I upgraded from an original iPAD. I'm thoroughly satisfied with it. I bought it on specs (processor, memory) and it paid off.
by Sbashore
Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:25 pm
 
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Need advice on which tablet to buy
Replies: 40
Views: 2120

Re: Your favorite international/global dividend fund/etf?

Total International Stock Index Admiral (VTIAX).
by Sbashore
Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:15 pm
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Your favorite international/global dividend fund/etf?
Replies: 1
Views: 172

Re: Individual Stocks

I have a curiosity question. Do you invest in any individual stocks, or only in mutual funds? I do like to evaluate companies and have a few individual stocks, I'm curious about others on the forum. Thanks I got that out of my system in the 90's. :happy I'm now exclusively in index funds, although ...
by Sbashore
Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:08 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Individual Stocks
Replies: 29
Views: 1746

Re: Angry when stock market is down

I observe with interest the effect the markets have on my portfolio. I don't experience much of an emotional swing. That's because I have great confidence in my plan. How about you?
by Sbashore
Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:04 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Angry when stock market is down
Replies: 79
Views: 3795

Re: Financial Planners, DFA, and your opinions please!

The reason I want a financial planner now is because of changes all happening at once. 1) We have a 19 month old and I'm now a stay at home dad.. financially I wasn't making engineering money either because I was moving all over the country following my wife as she moved all around. I wasn't in one...
by Sbashore
Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:47 am
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Financial Planners, DFA, and your opinions please!
Replies: 28
Views: 1649

Re: Schwab Financial Consultant

Hi I have a longstanding acct at Schwab. There is a "Financial Consultant" assigned to my acct, but is useless, IMO Does anybody else have any experience with this? It would be nice to have kind of a "Concierge" but this guy mostly just tries to sell me Schwab stuff; or give me ...
by Sbashore
Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:37 am
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Schwab Financial Consultant
Replies: 10
Views: 928

Re: Why don't utilities get any praise

I try to not get caught up in that dividend chasing mindset. I am more concerned with total return than dividends. Making a sector bet is another conversation altogether.
by Sbashore
Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:17 am
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Why don't utilities get any praise
Replies: 39
Views: 3724

Re: Ideal pace of IRA conversion at age 61?

I'm retired and when I do a calculation a Roth conversion does not work for me. You might want to not assume that it's the best course of action since a lot of other variables enter into it. Here's a link to help you analyze. https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insights/taxcenter/planning/is-a-roth-con...
by Sbashore
Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:52 am
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Ideal pace of IRA conversion at age 61?
Replies: 3
Views: 417

Re: Longer Term Investment Goals Progress Tracking

rkatz0 wrote:
TN_INVEST wrote:I think it's normal to treat folks that take things 4 places past the decimal point like Martians.


IF you hit your goal can you give me your 3rd and 4th decimal points?!


I think the use of many decimal places is quite necessary for space travel.
by Sbashore
Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:44 pm
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Longer Term Investment Goals Progress Tracking
Replies: 20
Views: 1257

Re: Longer Term Investment Goals Progress Tracking

I think it's normal to treat folks that take things 4 places past the decimal point like Martians. LOL! I think it's perfectly fine to be tracking this in the way that you are - congrats on your progress! (I do think one decimal place is probably sufficient...) The only thing I worry about to the r...
by Sbashore
Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:37 pm
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Longer Term Investment Goals Progress Tracking
Replies: 20
Views: 1257

Re: Spouse not ready to cut ties with financial advisers

I'm sorry but any professional adviser who becomes a "poker buddy" is not professional. IMHO You are a sheep being shorn. I agree with this. Unfortunately these guys are using "apparent friendship" as a lever to keep and attract business. I've seen it in the financial services i...
by Sbashore
Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:25 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Spouse not ready to cut ties with financial advisers
Replies: 112
Views: 8945

Re: Would you buy these funds that were recommended?

I'm glad you caught this before you were harmed financially. Sticking with this forum will always serve you well.
by Sbashore
Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:15 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Would you buy these funds that were recommended?
Replies: 30
Views: 1512

Re: Closest index to VTSAX?

Which Major index would have the closest results to VTSAX? DJIA, Nasdaq, S and P 500? Since VTSAX essentially "buys the market," I would think that it would very somewhat closely to one of those 3 main indexes, if not all 3? Which would be the closest? Thanks! To answer your question exac...
by Sbashore
Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:11 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Closest index to VTSAX?
Replies: 16
Views: 835

Re: Hello and Help!

Speculation is not investing. Speculation is gambling. Personally I never take a risk that doesn't need to be taken (individual stock risk, sector risk, speculative metals risk, etc.) since it is not compensated over the long term. Best of luck, because you're going to need it.
by Sbashore
Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:08 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Hello and Help!
Replies: 5
Views: 486

Re: [Poll] How I Feel When I Think about Investing, etc.

I voted "Generally a pleasant experience........". I find the details of how the markets work and the psychology involved fascinating. I get a kick out of seeing the principles of investing playing out in my portfolio. I also manage another portfolio for someone close to me and enjoy helpi...
by Sbashore
Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:49 am
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: [Poll] How I Feel When I Think about Investing, etc.
Replies: 36
Views: 2377

Re: More on Computer Security

My answer is "yes". I had debits applied to a checking account. It was a huge pain, and took some time for me to get my money back.
by Sbashore
Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:06 pm
 
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: More on Computer Security
Replies: 17
Views: 1626

Re: Portfolio Tracker suggestion?

I use MS Excel as well. I've developed a rather large workbook with multiple sheets to fulfill my needs over the years that I've transitioned from accumulation to distribution phase.
by Sbashore
Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:24 pm
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Portfolio Tracker suggestion?
Replies: 24
Views: 1579

Re: Should this person buy bonds??

nisiprius, Have you tried Dark Guatemala? It's delicious stuff. Nothing like French Roast. https://www.freshroastedcoffee.com/darkguat (Use coupon code 20P for a 20% discount.) He should do whatever he likes, unless , of course, it's drinking dark roast coffee. He shouldn't do that . Dark roast cof...
by Sbashore
Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:47 am
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Should this person buy bonds??
Replies: 16
Views: 1132

Re: Poll - Do you use Quicken?

No. I use Excel.
by Sbashore
Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:11 pm
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Poll - Do you use Quicken?
Replies: 85
Views: 5190

Re: What actions to take in a stock market crash?

livesoft wrote:I disagree with the sentiments of HomerJ.

Me too. I'm retired and rebalanced in 2008. Glad I did. Will do it again.
by Sbashore
Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:53 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: What actions to take in a stock market crash?
Replies: 85
Views: 5579

Re: Summer indoor humidity levels

Humidity outside is 11%, inside 33%. Central is running now. I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area.
by Sbashore
Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:26 pm
 
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Summer indoor humidity levels
Replies: 18
Views: 1196

Re: Keep this VA or get out?

Even if it does return 9.2%, which is doubtful are you comfortable paying 35% of the return in fees for the "perceived" stability of income because you don't think you could manage it yourself? Personally the choice would be clear for me. All that I'd have to work out is the best way to ge...
by Sbashore
Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:18 am
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Keep this VA or get out?
Replies: 4
Views: 702

Re: How to give advice when you don't know much.

I've seen a lot of good advice here. Anyone who tries to rush someone into an investment most assuredly has less than honest intentions. I wouldn't sell short the weight of your advice to your friend(s). As someone who was widowed at a relatively young age (60), I know firsthand how helpful and supp...
by Sbashore
Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:35 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: How to give advice when you don't know much.
Replies: 33
Views: 1379

Re: Scott Burns Blog, Is inflation Coming Back?

We can only hope so. Excessively low inflation has stifled the economy, kept millions unemployed and caused unnecessary human suffering. Why is that? Are companies inclined to sit on cash? Money isn't churning because there is no imperative to spend it? Seems I remember in Economics 101 that a heal...
by Sbashore
Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:53 pm
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Scott Burns Blog, Is inflation Coming Back?
Replies: 7
Views: 925

Re: What actions to take in a stock market crash?

galeno wrote:It helps when you've been thru 3 nasty bear markets like I have: 1987, 2000, and 2008. Risk tolerance, like whiskey, is an acquired taste.


+1 :beer
by Sbashore
Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:47 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: What actions to take in a stock market crash?
Replies: 85
Views: 5579

Re: Short term vs Intermediate term bond funds

I don't worry about returns over the short term. I hold bonds mainly as a shock absorber (volatility risk management). Holding intermediate term has served me well. I actually look forward to an increase in rates down the road.
by Sbashore
Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:38 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Short term vs Intermediate term bond funds
Replies: 27
Views: 2558

Re: Wife's 403(b)

It should be a relatively simple process. I've done it in the past. I would contact Vanguard first, they can help you with the transfer and open whatever accounts are needed at the same time.
by Sbashore
Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:01 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Wife's 403(b)
Replies: 12
Views: 782

Re: Investing Account Advice

To Hoppy, Bl, and DickenJB: Many thanks for your comments.. Bl and DickenJB : easy comments first. I will file as Head of Household as I have the girls with me. I am confident/hopeful that I will keep most of my investments and savings as 99% of it came from pre-marriage funds and are in my name. W...
by Sbashore
Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:43 am
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Investing Account Advice
Replies: 10
Views: 969

Re: Any other travel freaks?

I got burnt out from travel during the last few years of work - nothing like getting off a 13 hour flight in coach then going directly to work. It was getting such that I was finding the idea of travel and the reality of airports very unpleasant. However, since stopping work this year I have been t...
by Sbashore
Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:07 pm
 
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Any other travel freaks?
Replies: 117
Views: 8861

Re: Is Medigap insurance really needed?

I had the not so pleasant experience of incurring approx. $750,000 in the space of 2.5 years of medical expenses because of late wife's cancer. Being fully insured rather than just having Medicare A&B saved the vision I had for my retirement.
by Sbashore
Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:56 pm
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Is Medigap insurance really needed?
Replies: 83
Views: 4334

Re: Don't rely on mortality tables.

Enkido: In my opinion, using mortality tables for planning is more likely to mislead than help. Here's why: Mortality tables are averages. Few of us die on the date of any mortality table. Half die younger; half die older. I am older than my youngest son and my wife. The mortality table said I woul...
by Sbashore
Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:22 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Using equal mortality time intervals for planning
Replies: 17
Views: 1253

Re: Help me save my parents from Merrill Lynch

They'll be after you like a pack of hounds. (no offense meant to hounds).
by Sbashore
Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:35 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Help me save my parents from Merrill Lynch
Replies: 54
Views: 6106

Re: How does car trade-in works?

My suggestion to you is if you have a CarMax in your area, go get a quote on what they would pay for your car. I believe they will honor the quote for 7 days, so that will set a floor. My dealer wouldn't come close to matching what CarMax offered without increasing the price paid for the new vehicl...
by Sbashore
Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:45 am
 
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: How does car trade-in work?
Replies: 71
Views: 4468

Re: POLL: Wills vs. Living Trusts

I have both. They're not redundant. The will addresses specifics I wanted to take care of outside of the trust.
by Sbashore
Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:36 am
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: POLL: Wills vs. Living Trusts
Replies: 35
Views: 3141

Re: Anyone Switched to Vanguard Account Upgrade?

I just completed an upgrade about a month ago. It was seamless and happened overnight. What I did was call Vanguard and they emailed me a link to an invitation to upgrade. After that it was all automatic and my account was upgraded overnight. What it did for me was that all I had was a brokerage acc...
by Sbashore
Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:18 am
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Anyone Switched to Vanguard Account Upgrade?
Replies: 20
Views: 2848

Re: Need Perspective and Advise

Lot of good advice here. Basically it sounds like this guy is lying to you or is completely naive, stupid or all of the above. None of those attributes describe someone to whom I'd want to give money to manage.
by Sbashore
Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:07 am
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Need Perspective and Advise
Replies: 21
Views: 1823

Re: CSRS and SS, check my logic

The prettiest-sitting Feds are those who joined pre-1983, did not take the bait when the government offered them the "fabulous" option of switching to FERS, AND maxed out their TSPs (without match). I know a few... sittin' very pretty. :) Alas, I joined in 2008... Yeah I know some. :happy
by Sbashore
Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:45 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: CSRS and SS, check my logic
Replies: 26
Views: 1590

Re: CSRS and SS, check my logic

Professor Emeritus wrote:
heerekj1 wrote:I get 50%.


if it is CSRS you should get 55%


55% is the max. You can specify any percentage below that.
by Sbashore
Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:04 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: CSRS and SS, check my logic
Replies: 26
Views: 1590

Re: Should retirement investors own small/value stocks at al

This is a lot of the reason that I did away with my S/D portfolio with tilts a while ago. When you tilt sometimes it takes a while, if ever for the advantage to show up. I'm not getting any younger. Now I am more simplified, but still tilt a bit towards REITs. Can't seem to let that go. :happy
by Sbashore
Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:16 am
 
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Should retirement investors own small/value stocks at all?
Replies: 36
Views: 2954

Re: POLL: My home is worth less/more in 2014 than in 2007?

I voted 20% less or lower. Although where I live the run-up between 2004 and 2007 was stunning. I entered a contract to build the home and it was selling for 15% more than I paid before I broke ground. I still own the place and regard all that inflated value as a bit of an illusion since it's long g...
by Sbashore
Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:29 pm
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: POLL: My home is worth less/more in 2014 than in 2007?
Replies: 94
Views: 5828

Re: Do Bogleheads Feel Wealthier?

My spending is unchanged. I have a budget and have the discipline to stick to it. Probably a trait I developed from my Boglehead ways.
by Sbashore
Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:23 pm
 
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Do Bogleheads Feel Wealthier?
Replies: 57
Views: 4681

Re: I have access to a military TSP...worth it?

I'm a retired Fed. TSP is a significant portion of my portfolio. I regard it as an asset with great value. I could have transferred it to an IRA when I retired but chose to keep it because of it's low cost and superior choices (the G fund is unique in that it has no downside risk). In my opinion any...
by Sbashore
Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:45 am
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: I have access to a military TSP...worth it?
Replies: 13
Views: 1098

Re: Teacher looking for portfolio advice

Desired Asset Location: 100% stock, I think... Even though you have a pension, this is probably not a good idea. The risk is not sufficiently rewarded. We don't know what's going to happen a few decades from now with respect to NY state pension plans. (It was overfunded by 1.5% in 2009. By 2011, it...
by Sbashore
Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:36 am
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Teacher looking for portfolio advice
Replies: 13
Views: 594

Re: Starting my portfolio - how does it look?

I manage my bond investments by looking at duration. Intermediate term seems to be the sweet spot for me. In your situation I'd just go with a total US bond market fund. Vanguard is my preference. Once you understand the concept of duration and how it applies to your overall portfolio, you'll see t...
by Sbashore
Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:35 pm
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Starting my portfolio - how does it look?
Replies: 5
Views: 555

Re: Starting my portfolio - how does it look?

I manage my bond investments by looking at duration. Intermediate term seems to be the sweet spot for me. In your situation I'd just go with a total US bond market fund. Vanguard is my preference. Once you understand the concept of duration and how it applies to your overall portfolio, you'll see th...
by Sbashore
Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:21 am
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Starting my portfolio - how does it look?
Replies: 5
Views: 555

Re: Starting my portfolio - how does it look?

Hi everyone, This is my first post here, although I've been reading Boglehead resources online for a while now. I wanted to get some feedback regarding my plan for building my portfolio and getting on the road to financial independence and the option of possible early retirement. My situation: I'm ...
by Sbashore
Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:59 am
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Starting my portfolio - how does it look?
Replies: 5
Views: 555

Re: Best On-line Portfolio trackers

I use a spreadsheet I've developed over the years. It doubles as my IPS. I also use Morningstar and Vanguard.
by Sbashore
Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:44 am
 
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Best On-line Portfolio trackers
Replies: 16
Views: 1675
Next

Return to advanced search