Search found 1134 matches

by Dulocracy
Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:26 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Dear In-Laws: Less toys, more 529
Replies: 70
Views: 6201

Re: Dear In-Laws: Less toys, more 529

I think I might try to steer the inlaws toward more practical things, but maybe not go so far as to suggest monetary contributions. For instance, "The kids are really into Frozen and they're going to need a ton of school supplies..." Or, "I know you love buying the girls cute clothes...
by Dulocracy
Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:47 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Why did the markets recover from the 10% loss last October?
Replies: 25
Views: 2202

Re: Why did the markets recover from the 10% loss last October?

Artsdoctor wrote:
The question really is, why is livesoft interested in this? What goes on in that mind of his?


Predicting that is more difficult than predicting the stock market.
by Dulocracy
Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:05 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Has anyone actually used gold or silver coins for a purchase?
Replies: 57
Views: 4416

Has anyone actually used gold or silver coins for a purchase?

I often hear about people buying gold or silver coins with the idea of using them for a purchase or trade if everything goes to heck. In another post, someone said that silver coins had done well for him/her, but it made me think. If you did not sell the coins, they can still drop in value. If they ...
by Dulocracy
Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:56 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: 40 years with MegaCorp...Retiring Friday
Replies: 22
Views: 3419

Re: 40 years with MegaCorp...Retiring Friday

Congratulations and enjoy!
by Dulocracy
Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:30 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: With Stock Market heading south
Replies: 95
Views: 11263

Re: With Stock Market heading south

Sadly, with some unexpected medical bills, an unexpected car repair bill, and some unexpected costs of life, we are doing nothing because of the dip outside of our regularly scheduled investments. We are ok, but we have an emergency fund to rebuild a bit. I am more of a risk-taker when it comes to i...
by Dulocracy
Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:17 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Bogle: retirees should focus on dividends
Replies: 157
Views: 15577

Re: Bogle: retirees should focus on dividends

I probably didn't explain the dilemma very succinctly. The problem is if you've built a large tax-efficient portfolio, with TSM as the core, you can't just swap it out for the High Dividend Yield fund in order to gain a larger dividend stream in retirement. Logistically it doesn't make sense. 1) Co...
by Dulocracy
Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:01 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Cruel Psychology of 1,000 Point Drop
Replies: 1
Views: 722

Re: Cruel Psychology of 1,000 Point Drop

Thank you for posting. I like the article's emphasis on the denominator. This article will actually help me explain this to a friend who is math inclined, but does not get investing or the markets.
by Dulocracy
Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:49 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Am I wrong? [to assist family members with finances]
Replies: 32
Views: 4216

Re: Am I wrong? [to assist family members with finances]

Goal33 wrote:Thank you all for the feedback! I feel better about how I am going to handle this situation going forward now



Great advice on here. How I would handle it in the way of telling them:

I am not an adviser, so I am not legally allowed to do it for you.
by Dulocracy
Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:38 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Bogle: retirees should focus on dividends
Replies: 157
Views: 15577

Re: Bogle: retirees should focus on dividends

I probably didn't explain the dilemma very succinctly. The problem is if you've built a large tax-efficient portfolio, with TSM as the core, you can't just swap it out for the High Dividend Yield fund in order to gain a larger dividend stream in retirement. Logistically it doesn't make sense. 1) Co...
by Dulocracy
Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:22 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Potential Energy Downside?
Replies: 13
Views: 937

Potential Energy Downside?

I was in an unrelated topic, when I saw this: I've been accumulating major integrated energy and EM, catching the falling knife has been fun, fun, fun. Thankfully, I only play with what I can afford to lose, though I don't plan on losing over the long haul. The vast majority of my portfolio are in w...
by Dulocracy
Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:14 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Does anyone here collect currency?
Replies: 38
Views: 2807

Re: Does anyone here collect currency?

I inherited a good number of silver certificates that are in a bank box. I am pretty sure they have just depreciated in value, as they are worth face value. I have never looked into collector value. I also inherited a bunch of Confederate money in the same bank box. Other than potential collector's ...
by Dulocracy
Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:39 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Enough is enough
Replies: 51
Views: 15317

Re: Enough is enough

I chose money. I work all the time. I save almost every penny. I regret none of it. My wife is 10 years younger than I am. Women outlive men by something like 10 years. I am therefore planning a retirement for 20 years after I am dead. Why no regrets? She is more important to me than anything, and I...
by Dulocracy
Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:19 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Bogle: retirees should focus on dividends
Replies: 157
Views: 15577

Re: Bogle: retirees should focus on dividends

I probably didn't explain the dilemma very succinctly. The problem is if you've built a large tax-efficient portfolio, with TSM as the core, you can't just swap it out for the High Dividend Yield fund in order to gain a larger dividend stream in retirement. Logistically it doesn't make sense. 1) Co...
by Dulocracy
Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:37 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Interesting Argument in Favor of Roth
Replies: 53
Views: 6479

Re: Interesting Argument in Favor of Roth

Besides the tremendous adnantage to beneficiaries that a Roth holds, most people discussing this thread write about tax rates as if they are immutable, static percentages. They aren't and the rates are highly unlikely to decrease, but I sure wouldn't bet against increases. I agree with your assessm...
by Dulocracy
Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:27 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: The Good the Bad and the Ugly of real estate
Replies: 82
Views: 11912

Re: The Good the Bad and the Ugly of real estate

So under the bad - buyer beware if you're trying to purchase a condo using financing. I just had a deal fall through because I couldn't find a lender willing to write a mortgage even with 20% down. The HOA requirements established by Freddie/Fannie are more stringent for investors. They are require...
by Dulocracy
Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:05 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Interesting Argument in Favor of Roth
Replies: 53
Views: 6479

Re: Interesting Argument in Favor of Roth

I think you missed the post just above yours where I stated that I was trying to show a comparison of asset classes, and that asset class matters for a decision about whether or not to convert. You are failing to account for where the dollars are coming from to pay the conversion tax. This thread i...
by Dulocracy
Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:46 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: The folly of the dividend yield
Replies: 73
Views: 6544

Re: The folly of the dividend yield

Dulocracy is simply pointing out that if you reinvest dividends (or do not subtract them from total return) they will compound in the future. Actually, I think that I was also clear that this strategy must be used in a tax-advantaged environment for it to work, but yes, the nature of owning more sh...
by Dulocracy
Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:30 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Excess Cash - Play Monopoly or Repay Debt?
Replies: 82
Views: 7974

Re: Excess Cash - Play Monopoly or Repay Debt?

I'd hit this loan next: $95K 30 yr fixed at 5.0% 5% risk-free ROI is very respectable and, being one of the lowest balance loans, will further improve cash-flow soon (not that you need it with $6-7k/mo excess). You should be able to knock it out in 1.5 years. After that, you can reevaluate if addit...
by Dulocracy
Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:05 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Interesting Argument in Favor of Roth
Replies: 53
Views: 6479

Re: Interesting Argument in Favor of Roth

What about, however, an account that earns 8% a year and results in $215,892 after 10 years? Would I rather pay 33% of 100,000 (in the case of a Roth), or 25% of 215,892? I would rather not pay the extra $20,000 or so in taxes. You're forgetting the forsaken growth of the $33,000 used to pay tax on...
by Dulocracy
Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:54 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Why do certain employers make you wait a year to contribute to 401k?
Replies: 34
Views: 3082

Re: Why do certain employers make you wait a year to contribute to 401k?

I don't think negotiating from a position that the salary should be increased because the benefits are less than desired is the same as negotiating a separate benefit plan. All of the employees salaries are set individually and subject to negotiation and renegotiation at any time. That was not the ...
by Dulocracy
Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:50 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Who are you able to share good financial news with?
Replies: 103
Views: 8679

Re: Who are you able to share good financial news with?

If a teenager heard me telling my wife how much stronger I was from working at the gym I wouldn't be surprised if s/he gave a little good natured lip when I asked him/her to do some manual labor ("You're so strong -- you cut the wood!"). So if I'm bragging about my raise, I'll expect at l...
by Dulocracy
Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:40 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: should my Roth IRA be more aggressive
Replies: 23
Views: 2670

Re: should my Roth IRA be more aggressive

Yes, your entire portfolio is one. HOWEVER: You want your riskier investments (with the highest expected return) to be placed in your Roth accounts. Bonds do not go in Roth; Bonds go in traditional. Why? Roth is Tax free. If you have a higher expected growth of part of your portfolio, do you want m...
by Dulocracy
Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:06 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Why do certain employers make you wait a year to contribute to 401k?
Replies: 34
Views: 3082

Re: Why do certain employers make you wait a year to contribute to 401k?

To make it clear: You cannot negotiate this, as they are required by law to treat every employee the same. You would be negotiating for them to change this for all employees. They are not going to do that. As other posters have stated, you can aggressively save and make up the difference after you a...
by Dulocracy
Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:56 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Interesting Argument in Favor of Roth
Replies: 53
Views: 6479

Re: Interesting Argument in Favor of Roth

Whether you have bonds in the Roth or not is irrelevant to this thread. Again, I disagree. If I have a Traditional account and am considering whether or not to convert it to Roth, the composition of the account matters. If the funds held within the account are 60% bonds and 40% stock, it may make s...
by Dulocracy
Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:38 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Is 401K Match included when someone asks you how much you make per year?
Replies: 47
Views: 3709

Re: Is 401K Match included when someone asks you how much you make per year?

When getting a mortgage: No. When reporting to the IRS: No. When talking to a potential new employer: No, but you can tell them, "Plus a 4% retirement match, making my effective salary $X" This can let them know you are financially savvy and that you know the value of your benefits. It can...
by Dulocracy
Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:27 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: 5 Finance Myths Millennials Should Avoid
Replies: 32
Views: 5601

Re: 5 Finance Myths Millennials Should Avoid

I am ok with much of what she wrote, but number 3 (challenging the penny-saved/penny-earned idea) is simply foolish. I paid off my second mortgage by putting small payments on it (which I am ashamed I ever got, but that was before reading about saving and investing). I went to the bank every week to...
by Dulocracy
Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:16 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Emerging Markets Equity % of AA
Replies: 24
Views: 2121

Re: Emerging Markets Equity % of AA

25% of international; 10% of my total portfolio (international comprises 40% of my portfolio). My Emerging Markets are broken down further: 30% Small Emerging (DFA fund) 30% Value Emerging (DFA fund) 40% Vanguard Emerging These funds are available in my 401k. If I did not have them available, I woul...
by Dulocracy
Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:08 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: General Finance Strategies for Upper Middle Class
Replies: 33
Views: 5380

Re: General Finance Strategies for Upper Middle Class

After you max out your tax advantaged space, if Roth options are available to you, run a calculation. You can "cram more in" to tax advantaged space by contributing to a Roth account. That is, you pay taxes on it now, but never pay taxes again. You are then comparing the advantages of Roth...
by Dulocracy
Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:58 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: IRS regulation on 401K plan (company mistake)
Replies: 34
Views: 1809

Re: IRS regulation on 401K plan (company mistake)

Seriously, petition your company to adopt a safe-harbor plan. It is easy, does not cost more in management fees (should not, at least). They will have to put in 4% for employees. Primary method is 100% match up to 3%, then 50% match for 4 and 5% employee contribution. Alternative is a straight 4% ma...
by Dulocracy
Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:36 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Fabric protection (for armchairs)
Replies: 11
Views: 1004

Re: Fabric protection (for armchairs)

We paid for the factory option for furniture for a law firm waiting room. It gets a lot of traffic (including kids, since we handle family law). We bought the furniture in 2004. We are thinking about replacing it. The protection lasted really well. (So well that the reason for replacement is more th...
by Dulocracy
Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:33 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Interesting Argument in Favor of Roth
Replies: 53
Views: 6479

Re: Interesting Argument in Favor of Roth

People are drawing the wrong conclusions from #cruncher's post. I disagree! If you used a bond fund in the Roth, and it was below the threshold where such an election (Roth) made sense, you would be harming your portfolio. Alternatively, if you use assets with expected returns over that threshold, ...
by Dulocracy
Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:18 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: S&P Small Cap 600 (international equiv?)
Replies: 3
Views: 384

Re: S&P Small Cap 600 (international equiv?)

I suppose I was getting at the initial screening process for the S&P 600, where you need to show 4 successive quarters of profitability before being added. I'll guess I'll just read up on how the underlying indexes are constructed for the funds referenced on this page. If you are looking for so...
by Dulocracy
Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:04 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Physician Asset Protection
Replies: 35
Views: 3903

Re: Physician Asset Protection

+1 to the prenuptial agreement for asset protection +1 to the umbrella policy. Malpractice insurance is key and obvious, but umbrella insurance is just as important. Speak to an attorney and a cpa in your state. Note that in some states, you can put assets in your wife's name (like the house) to get...
by Dulocracy
Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:13 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: should my Roth IRA be more aggressive
Replies: 23
Views: 2670

Re: should my Roth IRA be more aggressive

Yes, your entire portfolio is one. HOWEVER: You want your riskier investments (with the highest expected return) to be placed in your Roth accounts. Bonds do not go in Roth; Bonds go in traditional. Why? Roth is Tax free. If you have a higher expected growth of part of your portfolio, do you want mo...
by Dulocracy
Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:08 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Former Housemate Owes Money - What to do?
Replies: 97
Views: 6127

Re: Former Housemate Owes Money - What to do?

Text her again. Offer a payment plan. Even $50 a month would do. If she pays, you got your money back. If stops paying at some point, you just created a record where she agreed that the money was owed, which can be used against her in court.
by Dulocracy
Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:47 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Retirees: Questions you hate being asked
Replies: 117
Views: 11235

Re: Retirees: Questions you hate being asked

From this thread, I have decided that I want to be a professor in my retirement years if I need to slow down from trial work. Not a bad idea to give back and not worry about salary. The best response I ever heard to a somewhat snarky, "What do you do all day?" question was a friend of my f...
by Dulocracy
Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:24 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Buffett: Stocks Will Be Much Higher
Replies: 25
Views: 5081

Re: Buffett: Stocks Will Be Much Higher

Thank you for the shot of enthusiasm in the arm. I know I should save like it will be a rainy day, but it is a real moral buster to always be told that it will be a quagmire of rain and mud all the time. Feeling like I am putting the investments aside to grow is a LOT easier when I believe they will...
by Dulocracy
Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:39 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: The folly of the dividend yield
Replies: 73
Views: 6544

Re: The folly of the dividend yield

... I often agree that someone got the math right, but disagree that they used the right equation . OK, I'll bite. With respect to the folly or otherwise of dividend yields, which is the topic of this thread, what is the right equation ? Please be specific, including the use of an equals sign. I'm ...
by Dulocracy
Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:53 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: How has the 4% rule held up since the tech bubble and the 2008 crisis
Replies: 45
Views: 6894

Re: How has the 4% rule held up since the tech bubble and the 2008 crisis

saladdin wrote:Jesus Christ. Listening to most of you $100 million at a .001% withdrawal rate isn't even safe.


It isn't safe, but that is a risk I would be willing to take.
by Dulocracy
Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:38 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Interesting Argument in Favor of Roth
Replies: 53
Views: 6479

Re: Interesting Argument in Favor of Roth

#Cruncher wrote: If the fund grows at 2% or 4% (before taxes) it doesn't pay to make the conversion. But if the fund grows at 6% or more, it does pay.


Thank you for running the numbers! That is precisely why I keep my riskier assets in the Roth IRA and less risky in the Traditional portion of my 401k.
by Dulocracy
Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:50 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Verizon Killing off 2-Year Contracts & Phone Subsidies
Replies: 129
Views: 11665

Re: Verizon Killing off 2-Year Contracts & Phone Subsidies

Why is "no more phone subsidies" good news? Because the current system forces you to pay for a new phone even if you don't want or need one. Sorry you lost me at if you don't want a new phone. Seriously -- do you actually not get the "free" (spare me: I know it's not truly 'free...
by Dulocracy
Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:21 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Allan Roth Says Not to Load Up on Muni Bonds
Replies: 101
Views: 8487

Re: [Allan Roth Says Not to Load Up on Muni Bonds]

I corrected the thread title. For new investors, Allan Roth is in the wiki: Allan Roth FYI - The OP can change the thread title by editing the Subject: line in Post #1. The link to his "The Irrational Investor" seems to be broken in the wiki. I was hoping to read more by Mr. Roth, so I fo...
by Dulocracy
Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:57 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Buying REIT now? - will rate change have an impact?
Replies: 9
Views: 983

Re: Buying REIT now? - will rate change have an impact?

I like REITs for the long haul. My thought on interest rates: REITs use commercial real estate loans for building purchases. Most of those are fixed rate. As interest rates rise, you have locked in loans at a lower fixed rate. GREAT! There is value in this. On the flip side, as bonds look more entic...
by Dulocracy
Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:44 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: "Gone Fishin' Portfolio" vs "Three Fund Portfolio"
Replies: 23
Views: 2710

Re: "Gone Fishin' Portfolio" vs "Three Fund Portfolio"

Personally, I do something similar to the Gone Fishin' Portfolio. I do have mid-caps, a 60/40 US/International mix, and bonds are handled outside of tax advantaged accounts (right now in an unorthodox manner), but as my bond strategy becomes more orthodox, I will be even more in line with this portf...
by Dulocracy
Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:40 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: 401K Administrator (Schwab) refuses to transfer over historical data
Replies: 3
Views: 491

Re: 401K Administrator (Schwab) refuses to transfer over historical data

Ditto the above. Even if it is a new company, it is a new account. Think about it from the other side. Would Company A be ok with Company B having records of their employees? Even if company B came from a spinoff of Company A, there are issues that could arise. I think your 401k Administrator would ...
by Dulocracy
Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:12 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: The folly of the dividend yield
Replies: 73
Views: 6544

Re: The folly of the dividend yield

JoMoney wrote:I still don't understand why people get offended by simple math.


I like math. We can agree that if 2 + x = 4, then x = 2. Sure, that is math. What if someone is applying the wrong equation, though?

I often agree that someone got the math right, but disagree that they used the right equation.
by Dulocracy
Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:37 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: t401k vs. r401k vs. tIRA vs. rIRA
Replies: 7
Views: 418

Re: t401k vs. r401k vs. tIRA vs. rIRA

The difference between a traditional and Roth account is that the Roth (not roth or ROTH as it is a formal name of the man that originated it and not an acronym) is post tax dollars, but you are NEVER TAXED AGAIN on the money. With traditional, you are not taxed until it is time to pull the money ou...
by Dulocracy
Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:59 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Jack Bogle in this Month's Money Magazine
Replies: 79
Views: 8606

Re: Jack Bogle in this Month's Money Magazine

Thanks for the link. As far as whether or not we should hold international, you know that those of us who hold it do so because we are bored. We just need more reading material and do it for the free prospectus.
by Dulocracy
Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:47 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Protecting a young adult from his money?
Replies: 27
Views: 3612

Re: Protecting a young adult from his money?

The mom could hire a lawyer and go to court to obtain a conservatorship/guardianship over the son. From the details provided, probably not. It is no small deal to get a guardianship over someone. You are legally stripping them of their rights; courts do not do this lightly. As has been stated, bein...
by Dulocracy
Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:44 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Protecting a young adult from his money?
Replies: 27
Views: 3612

Re: Protecting a young adult from his money?

"Protecting a young adult from his money?" "Protecting his money from a young adult?" No matter how you phrase it, the key here is "his money". There may be significant legal ramifications for her to do anything with the money other than give it to him. Step one would b...

Go to advanced search